Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Michael,

I've found this article a useful introduction to the Hook-Eastman debates:

Getting Hegel out of History: Max Eastman's Quarrel with Marxism
Author(s): John P. Diggins
Source: The American Historical Review, Vol. 79, No. 1 (Feb., 1974), pp.
38-71
Published by: American Historical Association
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1868315

Personally I don't find pragmatist readings of Marx particularly helpful,
but his background with Dewey would have certainly helped Hook to recognize
the importance to Marx of knowledge being both acquired and tested in
practice. And personally I have sympathy with the view that on this issue
Marx was misinterprted by Engels and Lenin, even if such an interpretation
on Hook's part was a motivated one.

Martin

p.s. according to Diggins, Dewey began to write about Marxism around 1938