Re: [xmca] Announcement: Online community for the history of [mostly Soviet] psychology (mostly in Russian)

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 09:18:19 PDT

--- On Fri, 6/13/08, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anton.. The site looks great and active. Congratulatinos.

Thanks, Mike!

> 1. I understand that Sharpe has permitted JREEP to post an
> article for
> discussion a la XMCA. Is that happening?

I am afraid NOT, but I believe we still can negotiate the issue with them. Another thing is that, as I realized, we don't really need the articles and can really manage without them.

> 2/ What does one have to do to join? For example, if I
> wanted to ask about
> the actual research of Price with Luria,

In this case, I guess you should first create an account (which you have already done), then login with your user name and password (if by chance you don't know/remember them your colleague should remember them) -- and voila - either post a message or respond to somebody else's contribution. You will need to click either Comment on this or Reply to this links (all this is fairly intuitive). The one to whom you reply will receive an email to her mailbox, and the same obviously holds when somebody responds to your message.

> or try to figure out what it takes to get to see data from
> the twin studies
> (I have only seen one article in English and
> the little that Mironova (?) and Luria did that is
> summarized in the Luria
> autobiography, to whom would I turn?

If you want to see these specific articles perhaps the best person to turn to is myself: I guess I have them all :). Anyway, when you feel like asking for some other stuff I guess you can easily post a new message to this community (in order to do so, you should be a member of the community,--this is a moderated community,--which means you will need to join the community first, which is not a bog deal).

As you can see, for instance, here: http://community.livejournal.com/psyhistorik/21899.html or here: http://community.livejournal.com/psyhistorik/18341.html -- one can post either in both Cyrillic and Latin or in Latin characters only.

> 4. Would you like a link from lchc page to the discusssion
> and perhaps vice
> versa?

A link definitely would not hurt. We can make a link to xmca, too. Furthermore. As you remember, we have created a community for the history of Soviet psychology English-language posts only, and I am not sure if we want/need to activate this one...

> 5. The history of Ina Ravich Scherbo might be intereting
> for xmca members.
> Is her email available?

I am sorry: Inna Ravich-Shcherbo passed away in 2004 - pls see
http://www.humanities.edu.ru/db/msg/62860
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Ravich+Scherbo+passed+away

> Finally, I am very uncertain about ordering article on the
> internet from
> Russia. Is this just a dumb bias, or am I
> actually at greater risk for hacking and identify theft? I
> would like to
> read that sokolova article but hate sending
> electronic money anywhere, and to .ru in particular. What
> is your
> experience?

I absolutely understand your concerns. In this case, I never sent money to them and the main reason is that they don't accept credit cards, neither do they work with PayPal, and I have never had time to master any of the various systems of "webmoney" they use: for some reason they all seem quite inconvenient to me... Other than that, so far so good, I am fine with ordering books at, say, ozon.ru and paying with my credit card.