Re: [xmca] Word meanings making up "Personality"

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 10:33:33 PST

Well, I see that I did indeed miss important moments in the discussion
earlier this morning,
re-hearsaying what David wrote about units of analysis, missing his
interesting discussion
of the rise of the novel and its 19th Century inversion of concerns.

David-- Am I correct in saying that the following provides the answer for
you to how LSV resolved the two
psychologies problem:

 I guess I think that the "self" is a little bit like the idealist
psychology that is so obsessively concerned with it. Martin's point is
really that LSV does NOT suggest a "synthesis" of idealist and objective
psychology. LSV wants us to cut off idealist psychology. He does this by
really REVERSING the relations between psychology and sociology; he does it
by saying that we do not begin by explaining the self and then use it to
explain society--we proceed the other way around. But as soon as we do this,
we discover that the "self" is not really a stable thing at all; it's more
like a moving interface between social ideology and personal ideology.

Is that what you concluded, too, Martin?
I'll have to think about this as I go about my distractions.
mike