Re: [xmca] Historical Development

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 09:14:51 PST

Hi David Kel-- The weekend has arrived and with it a little time to catch
up. The list of unanswered messages is long
enough so I am proceeding backwards, so I hope I do not repeat something
unnecessarily.

I have been reflecting along the same lines concerning LSV's writings,
David. But the thoughts, as often happen, have led both to some of the same
conclusions and to some different ones.

The overarching thought/perplexity is that we all focus on different texts
at different times in our own lives and when talking about
LSV et sequelia we evoke the texts we are currently reading as if they were
"What Vyogtsky said.thought.wrote" and by some
trick of metonymy allow our at-least doubly partial readings stand for the
whole of HIS thought, not a messy hybrid from which
we must struggle to regularize and make consistent.

Crisis was writting in 25-26?? Roughly? A special moment in the history of
the USSR, Soviet social sciences and humanities.
The Psychology of Art a little earlier?
Thinking and speech aka Thought and Language 8 years (more than half a
working lifetime later).

His audience in each case was somewhat different. So, in Crisis he as
nailing all psychologies with spilling out of their appropriate
and restricted domains to become Generals. In psychology of Art, a
collection of essays, he moves between Plekhanov and formalism
addressing, it seems to me, several different audiences. In thought and
language he was also doing lots of things from lots of periods
of his work, writing some of it down, having some of it written down by
students, having those same students change what they claim
to have written down at different times, being translated in an incredible
variety of ways. (Did anyone wonder what a modern rendition
of the term translated as "irritant" might be in an earlier discussion? I
think its probably of some importance to figuring out if he came
up with a single unified psychology that managed to kill off the other half.

A unit of analysis: The smallest chunk/unit/phenomenon which contains in
recognizable form all of the properties of the phenomenon
you wish to study. LSV consistently uses the H20 example, early and late. So
did the Gestalists.

Not THE unit of analysis, as if there was some magic something from which
all regularities (aka laws?) in all domains of human life
take their basic structure and processes of change.

So, I am not surprised when he knocks gestalt psychology, or psychoanalysis,
or whatever in one place and adopts ideas from that
source in another. I do get pretty confused about how to create my own way
of understanding him and myself though!

Would LSV be unhappy if activity were made so general that it was said to
explain taste aversion in rats, perceptual illusions, work
place dynamics, classroom practices, etc etc?? Seems to me that he most
certainly would. But maybe that's just an old
conditioned reflex I picket up along the path.

There is a reverse question which has been asked a lot and is still being
discussed on xmca and elsewhere. Would LSV have even
countenanced the use of the concept of activity AT ALL? Is so, when and for
what purposes? My own conclusion to the latter question
is yes with respect to the general (at all) part of the question and "gee,
need to check out each case" for the latter part.

Back to checking around
mike