[xmca] online games as tools for sociability

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista <lucabaptista who-is-at fcsh.unl.pt>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 15:20:05 PST

Hi all,

I've been missing for quite a while, lost in the jungle of Philosophy of
Language. But now I want to embark on a new research project. I am about to
start studying online games, which I see as tools for sociability (in Georg
Simmel's sense). As some of you may know, there is a growing literature on
ethnographical and sociological accounts of this phenomenon, and I intend to
draw on this work in order to pursue a philosophically oriented research,
dealing also with issues such as make-believe, joint pretense, distributed
cognition and the intermingling of "real" and "fictional" objects and
characters.

I am just finishing collecting the relevant material and hope to start
working on it in the next few weeks. I would appreciate any suggestions you
might make, as well as info about good places to pursue this kind of
research (since I am interested in working abroad).

Best regards,

Luiz Carlos Baptista

**********
"The brain is a wonderful thing. Everybody should have one."

Luiz Carlos Baptista

Instituto de Filosofia da Linguagem
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. de Berna, 26-C