[xmca] Baldwin and Imitation

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 18:36:05 PST

Dear All,

I'm getting myself in a twist over terminology used by others to
explain James Mark Baldwin's forms of imitation. On the one hand,
Valsiner and van der Veer talk of 'pre-imitative suggestions' which
are not future-oriented, and 'imitative suggestion', which is future-
oriented and is apparently divided into "simple
imitation" (sensorimotor or ideomotor suggestion, which tends to keep
itself going by reinstating its own stimulation - Baldwin in V and V)
and "persistent imitation", which is where novelty is constructed (and
sits nicely within a sociocultural theory of internalisation).

On the other hand, Lantolf claims Baldwin "distinguishes two types of
imitation - imitative suggestion and persistent imitation". He seems
to liken imitative suggestion to simple imitation and persistent
imitation to that described above.

If anybody can help me fast track an understanding of terminology of
Baldwin himself, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, and happy Invasion Day for Australia tomorrow.

Phil