Re: [xmca] A Culture of Safety at Work

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 11:18:53 PST

Very interesting to me, Paul, on many acocunts.
You reinforce my intuition that Helena's case (and Steve's if he would write
that note into a book, or at least an article!) allows us to ways in which
the local activity system is dialectially related to
differnt levels of the social order. In Steve's case, what blew me away was
the idea that Boeing could set safety standards that went into OSHA rules
that came back down to shop floors in OTHER,
competing, companies in a way that benefitted Boeing. Whoa, that seems like
hot stuff to me.

It potentially makes such work setings MUCH more interesting, than, say,
classrooms, as systems to study from a CHAT perspective because the
bi-directional relations between levels is more
accessible/visible (?),
mike