Re: [xmca] Vygotsky on Identity?

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 07:19:34 PST

Thanks, Michael,

Here's the abstract of that article:

Cultural-Historical Activity Theory (CHAT), which had been termed the
best-held secret of education about 15 years ago, has had an exponential
growth over the past three decades. Because it thematizes largely the
structural aspects of activity systems, the theory only recently has been
developed to include emotional, motivational, and identity-related aspects
of everyday human praxis. Identity itself is a difficult concept so that
we are only at the beginning of understanding how to theorize it. In this
article, I use empirical data from my ethnographic fieldwork in one rural
community generally and its middle school specifically to expand CHAT so
that it can be used to theorize identity and its relation to the moral
nature of agency. The inclusion becomes possible through the concept of
action, which is central to CHAT, identity, and agency.