Re: [xmca] On Roth's "On Mediation"

From: Jay Lemke <jaylemke who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 08:59:05 PDT

As another sort of example, think of the ways in which the
connotations and histories of words and phrases, their unconscious
semantics, or even their heteroglossic positioning (i.e. that they
are alternatives to other ways of talking about something) disappear
from consciousness and become 'second nature', automatized.

They are no less mediating just because they are outside consciousness.

But they are of course also less easily critiqued or changed, or
improved. It's very hard to re-learn something you don't realize
you've learned in the first place.

The question that might still be of interest here is whether when a
mediational practice becomes automatized, it ought to be considered
an "operation" in Leontiev's terms, or if it is still an action? is
consciousness the relevant criterion? should it be? I have always
thought of operations as "normally infra-semiotic" , i.e. under most
conditions they do not have or convey meaning in themselves.
(Anything can be made meaningful by some special framing, of course).

In the case of a manual activity such as the fish scoop example,
there seems to be a split in perspective between the actor and the
analyst (also a big issue for Bourdieu!), so that what is not
separately meaningful for the actor remains so for the analyst. And
when do the criteria of consciousness and meaningful-for-the-actor
coincide? should we consider something to be still meaningful because
it is meaningful for the community to which the actor and the analyst
belong? regardless of whether it is functionally so in consciousness
for any particular individual at any moment?

JAY.

PS. we also have to consider the classic circumstance of what happens
when something goes wrong with the automated tool/process

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan
School of Education