Re: [xmca] On Roth's "On Mediation"

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 17:58:17 PDT

Gordon,
there is no how to use the scoop for the fish culturist. S/he just
grabs it and throws the feed. There is not an instant that they think
about it (consciously). When I drive my stick shift (I guess this is
a rarity in the US), I NEVER think about how to shift, where to
shift, which gear I am in. Over 40 years of driving, including
trucks, I have come to the point where using the stick shift has
totally disappeared from consciousness. (In the army, we had this
game of shifting without using clutch---which has to be pushed twice
in non-synchronized gears---just on feel. When you got it right, no
sound is heard as in regular shifting. When you get it wrong---most
people and newcomers generally, there is a lot of noise)

When I think about these issues, I generally / latently have the
double nature of AT: consciousness + material, which exists not only
for object but for everything else. (This co-presence of the two
dimensions also is central in modern philosophical work inspired both
by dialectics and phenomenology, as in Jean-Luc Nancy, who is an
superb Hegel exegete (he's got 2 books interpreting the dialectical
philosopher).

Michale