Re: [xmca] Wells article

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Mon Oct 08 2007 - 09:46:11 PDT

I also appreciate Sasha's insights. I have puzzled over Vygotsky's
hierarchy of "scientific concepts" over "everyday concepts" and
wondered to what extent he created that hierarchy, either consciously
or otherwise, in part to maneuver around the growing Stalinist
bureaucracy that was taking over everything in Soviet society in
Vygotsky's time and calling its increasing grip on all institutions
"Marxist science". At the same time, mere individual practical or
everyday knowledge of a thing is most certainly not enough to fully
comprehend it, just as Sasha emphasizes that academic, abstract
knowledge of a thing is also insufficient. To master a thing one
must do both - know a thing through internalizing the "doing" or
"practice" of it, while also internalize the full range of cultural
and scientific practices and conceptualizations of a thing through
studying and experiencing its full cultural history, including all
its definitions. This view of simultaneous practical AND scientific
internalization is a key element of the vision of common working
people and everyday citizens becoming the philosopher-scientist-
statespeople of the world, a vision I believe Vygotsky very much had.

- Steve