Re: [xmca] mediational theories of mind

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 20:23:08 PDT

Very helpful reflections, Tony. And I sure am accruing a PILE of articles
and worrying about which books.
In reading your comments I first highlighted the paragraph two in front of
this one:

I don't think Shotter would say that people never "deliberately contrive"
their coordinations (at any rate I wouldn't say that, or that people never
"deliberately contrive" the Wof an activity system) -- just that
this is not the normal case.

THIS paragraph resonated especially for me because in reading Shotter's
comments, I kept thinking,
"not either or, but both sometimes" -- the issue of course is which when.

In this connection, I am planning to have my students read something about
the Mescheryakov work with the
blind-deaf. What comes through VERY clearly in that work is that "first" (is
there ever a first?) comes joint, mediated
activity which is the pre-condition for creating meaning and acquiring
language.

I have to think a lot more about genre. There are several genres of films,
of novels, or written products, etc. The
intersections of genre and medium have me muddled.

mike