RE: [xmca] Fundamental Questions

From: Worthen, Helena Harlow <hworthen who-is-at ad.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2007 - 08:48:16 PDT

I had been reading this thread, about individual/collective, with a
sense of detachment until this morning when I realized that a film we
showed in a class last night provides an instance of the process of
separating the individual from the collective. The "individual" and
"collective" aren't abstract, either, and both are fully dramatized.

It's Ken Loach's 2001 film The Navigators, about a team of railroad
workers experiencing the privatization and break-up of British Rail
under Margaret Thatcher. The workers have functioned in this heavily
unionized environment for -- well, the oldest shows a photo of himself
with his team that has to be 45 years old -- and they possess all the
social norms of that very collective environment; one refuses
opportunities to work any overtime as long as others "are on the dole."
One by one, they learn in different ways what the new work system will
require of them, namely, to act not as a collective but as individuals.
It's a brilliant film. You can chart this process as it unrolls step by
step, differently with each character.

Helena

Helena Worthen
Clinical Associate Professor
Labor Education Program
Institute of Labor & Industrial Relations
504 E. Armory, Room 227
Champaign, IL 61821
Phone: 217-244-4095
hworthen@uiuc.edu