Re: [xmca] Bobath method

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 18:20:42 PDT

Thank you Christine. That was indeed a very helpful contribution. A lot of
the things you mention have rung bells in what I have seen. It all adds up.
The therapists working with Vonney get their Bobath from the UK, BTW, I am
in Oz.
thank you,
Andy
At 06:01 PM 31/07/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>If it's helpful, I can clarify a bit about the Bobaths (Berta and Karel),
>their work, and how it impacts physical, occupational and speech therapy
>practices today around the world, and if it relates to Vygotsky.
>
>The quick and dirty history is that Berta, a dancer, noticed that children
>with cerebral palsy exhibited stereotypical patterned movements and talked
>about this with her husband Karel, a doctor. Based on the idea that these
>movements and patterns of high muscle tone and spasticity were due to
>primitive basic reflexes the damaged brain was unable to override, they
>devised an approach to inhibit these reflexes, thus allowing more natural
>movement.
>
>This became known as the neurodevelopmental treatment approach (NDT),
>which is what most therapists around the world today call this method. For
>quite a while the Bobaths' name was dropped altogether and not mentioned
>in conjunction with NDT other than as an historical footnote. Recently,
>however, there has been a split in the US training and practice of NDT,
>with another group developing procedures with a slightly different
>grounding, but still referring to the method by the acronym NDT. So, to
>clarify which NDT they mean, some therapists in the US have recently begun
>referring to traditional NDT as the Bobath approach.
>
>This approach is most often used today with individuals with hemiplegic
>stroke and children with cerebral palsy. What Andy noticed, the tactile
>cueing for voluntary movement, can only take place after "inappropriate"
>reflexes and postures are inhibited. The inhibiting takes place through
>careful hand placement at various points on the body (not necessary right
>at the area where the focus of treatment is taking place) and tactile
>cueing. It may or may not be apparent to the lay observer. The idea is not
>that you make the patient's limb move in a particular direction but that
>through careful posture adjustment and touch, one suppresses the reflex
>and enables the possibility of voluntary movement, and helps to develop
>motor memory of that posture and the voluntary movement.
>
>I am not NDT certified (nor are most therapists), but like most therapists
>around the world, I did learn about the general principles and approaches
>used in this method and a number of others as part of my basic training as
>an occupational therapist. So, while Mike's therapists may not refer to
>the Bobath's by name, they certainly learned at least some of the basics
>of the NDT approach in their schooling. Though it is one of the most
>accepted rehab approaches, there has not yet been enough outcomes research
>to establish NDT as a more effective method than any other approach, by
>the way.
>
>As for the Vygotsky question, I am sure that the Bobath's would have been
>aware of his work but I do not recall any mention of a direct influence in
> [...]

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651