Re: [xmca] Bobath method

From: Cristine Carrier <carrier who-is-at usc.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 18:01:37 PDT

If it's helpful, I can clarify a bit about the Bobaths (Berta and Karel), their work, and how it impacts physical, occupational and speech therapy practices today around the world, and if it relates to Vygotsky.

The quick and dirty history is that Berta, a dancer, noticed that children with cerebral palsy exhibited stereotypical patterned movements and talked about this with her husband Karel, a doctor. Based on the idea that these movements and patterns of high muscle tone and spasticity were due to primitive basic reflexes the damaged brain was unable to override, they devised an approach to inhibit these reflexes, thus allowing more natural movement.

This became known as the neurodevelopmental treatment approach (NDT), which is what most therapists around the world today call this method. For quite a while the Bobaths' name was dropped altogether and not mentioned in conjunction with NDT other than as an historical footnote. Recently, however, there has been a split in the US training and practice of NDT, with another group developing procedures with a slightly different grounding, but still referring to the method by the acronym NDT. So, to clarify which NDT they mean, some therapists in the US have recently begun referring to traditional NDT as the Bobath approach.

This approach is most often used today with individuals with hemiplegic stroke and children with cerebral palsy. What Andy noticed, the tactile cueing for voluntary movement, can only take place after "inappropriate" reflexes and postures are inhibited. The inhibiting takes place through careful hand placement at various points on the body (not necessary right at the area where the focus of treatment is taking place) and tactile cueing. It may or may not be apparent to the lay observer. The idea is not that you make the patient's limb move in a particular direction but that through careful posture adjustment and touch, one suppresses the reflex and enables the possibility of voluntary movement, and helps to develop motor memory of that posture and the voluntary movement.

I am not NDT certified (nor are most therapists), but like most therapists around the world, I did learn about the general principles and approaches used in this method and a number of others as part of my basic training as an occupational therapist. So, while Mike's therapists may not refer to the Bobath's by name, they certainly learned at least some of the basics of the NDT approach in their schooling. Though it is one of the most accepted rehab approaches, there has not yet been enough outcomes research to establish NDT as a more effective method than any other approach, by the way.

As for the Vygotsky question, I am sure that the Bobath's would have been aware of his work but I do not recall any mention of a direct influence in the history and literature on the method that I have read.

Finally, a topic I can contribute on :-)

Cristine Carrier PhD(C), OTR/L
Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
University of Southern California