[xmca] Analyses of gesture & speech

From: Michael A. Evans <mae who-is-at vt.edu>
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 08:40:34 PDT

Dear All,

I was hoping you could point me to resources that critique discourse
analysis as an overly linguistic approach to interaction and meaning
making...my request is based on a desire to ground analysis of video data of
children using manipulatives (both physical and graphically-based) in
collaborative efforts...what I want to capture is not only the speech but
also gesture of primary students as they try to make sense of basic
geometric concepts and principles using manipulatives (tangrams,
pentominoes, geoboards, etc)...Iım searching for both philosophical
(Vygotsky, Dewey, Pierce, Mead) and methodological references that emphasize
the need to examine gesture and speech simultaneously...

As for the latter, Iıve recently been working with David McNeill and his
group at the U. of Chicago (http://mcneilllab.uchicago.edu/), but was hoping
I could get more leads from the group...

Thanks!
Michael~