Re: [xmca] The myth of the noble savage

From: Paul Dillon (phd_crit_think@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 23:08:49 PST

Phil,

  Exactly which anthropologists does Pinker refer to? Marshall Sahlins?

  Doesn't Pinker subscribe to a somewhat biogenetic explanation of language and culture that focuses primarily on the supposed hard-wiring of the human brain with absolutely no role for the socio-cultural structuration of that very brain?

  In any event, it would seem that the role the State has assumed in the resolution of interpersonal conflicts (no more Nuer blood feuds except on the streets of south central Los Angeles) belies the fact that the modern State perpetrates daily violence at a level inimaginable to our Stone Age ancestors.

  pAUL dILLON

Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
  False premises lead nowhere except to headlines.
What chutzpah!
mike