Re: [xmca] Research Degrees in Europe

From: David Preiss (
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 08:15:26 PST

But a ph.d. in which domain, Mike? Education? Psychology? Comm? Astronomy? :)

Mike Cole escribió:
> Open University sounds like a good bet, David.
> As an American professor who routinely teaches undergraduates as do all of
> my
> colleagues I would demure on your characterization of American universities
> in general. However,
> the caution is well worth heading. Some universities exploit their graduate
> TA's shamelessly.
> Many of our graduate students TA but with a strict limit of 19 hours
> involvement, a line we
> work hard to maintain.
> Our big local problem in this regard, especially in Communication where our
> program differs so
> markedly from other similar programs, is that we do not credit MA degrees
> except for those
> few courses that really are equivalent to what we teach.
> Which institutions do XMCA members belong to that might be good candidates
> for getting to a phd quickly??
> mike
> On 3/16/07, David Kellogg <> wrote:
>> Everybody:
>> As someone who is in precisely that position (of needing a Ph.D. which
>> supports rather than distracts from my current work) I agree with David
>> (Preiss); you are much more likely to get the flexibility you need in Europe
>> than in the USA.
>> For example, there is the Open University at Milton Keynes in the UK.
>> They DO, unfortunately, require an in-house MA, though you can get a waiver
>> if you've got a good one from another British uni or other intellectual
>> assets and someone who will argue your case before the committee.
>> If you can get in, though, they do part-time as well as full-time
>> research degrees, and a part time research degree will allow you to live
>> abroad with your data. Nevertheless, it's a real university, not a
>> cyber-school; and in fact there are some who would argue that it's the best
>> one in England.
>> Another great advantage of Europe (I think) is that unlike America they
>> let professors teach undergraduates. You may think this is not very relevant
>> to you, but a LOT of our people who go to the States spend years working as
>> teaching assistants instead of actually getting their own degrees.
>> Basically, you are being paid in kind: you get a tuition waiver instead of a
>> real salary.
>> In China, and also under the Park Chunghee dictatorship here in Korea,
>> it was quite normal to sign a contract with the government, according to
>> which you get your graduate education for nearly free and in return you
>> agree to work five or ten years for the state. When they discarded this
>> system in China we were given industrial quantities of nonsense about free
>> choice and a market in intellectual skills and so on. But all it really
>> means is that you do your teaching service BEFORE you get your degree
>> instead of AFTER.
>> David Kellogg
>> Seoul National University of Education
>> ---------------------------------
>> Looking for earth-friendly autos?
>> Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
>> _______________________________________________
>> xmca mailing list
> _______________________________________________
> xmca mailing list

David D. Preiss Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología.
Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860.
Macul, Santiago de Chile.

Teléfono: (56-2) 354-4605 Fax: (56-2) 354-4844. Web:

_______________________________________________ xmca mailing list

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sun Apr 01 2007 - 01:00:11 PST