Re: [xmca] Research Degrees in Europe

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 07:01:43 PST

Open University sounds like a good bet, David.
As an American professor who routinely teaches undergraduates as do all of
my
colleagues I would demure on your characterization of American universities
in general. However,
the caution is well worth heading. Some universities exploit their graduate
TA's shamelessly.
Many of our graduate students TA but with a strict limit of 19 hours
involvement, a line we
work hard to maintain.

Our big local problem in this regard, especially in Communication where our
program differs so
markedly from other similar programs, is that we do not credit MA degrees
except for those
few courses that really are equivalent to what we teach.

Which institutions do XMCA members belong to that might be good candidates
for getting to a phd quickly??
mike