Re: [xmca] Research Degrees in Europe

From: Mike Cole (
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 07:01:43 PST

Open University sounds like a good bet, David.
As an American professor who routinely teaches undergraduates as do all of
colleagues I would demure on your characterization of American universities
in general. However,
the caution is well worth heading. Some universities exploit their graduate
TA's shamelessly.
Many of our graduate students TA but with a strict limit of 19 hours
involvement, a line we
work hard to maintain.

Our big local problem in this regard, especially in Communication where our
program differs so
markedly from other similar programs, is that we do not credit MA degrees
except for those
few courses that really are equivalent to what we teach.

Which institutions do XMCA members belong to that might be good candidates
for getting to a phd quickly??

On 3/16/07, David Kellogg <> wrote:
> Everybody:
> As someone who is in precisely that position (of needing a Ph.D. which
> supports rather than distracts from my current work) I agree with David
> (Preiss); you are much more likely to get the flexibility you need in Europe
> than in the USA.
> For example, there is the Open University at Milton Keynes in the UK.
> They DO, unfortunately, require an in-house MA, though you can get a waiver
> if you've got a good one from another British uni or other intellectual
> assets and someone who will argue your case before the committee.
> If you can get in, though, they do part-time as well as full-time
> research degrees, and a part time research degree will allow you to live
> abroad with your data. Nevertheless, it's a real university, not a
> cyber-school; and in fact there are some who would argue that it's the best
> one in England.
> Another great advantage of Europe (I think) is that unlike America they
> let professors teach undergraduates. You may think this is not very relevant
> to you, but a LOT of our people who go to the States spend years working as
> teaching assistants instead of actually getting their own degrees.
> Basically, you are being paid in kind: you get a tuition waiver instead of a
> real salary.
> In China, and also under the Park Chunghee dictatorship here in Korea,
> it was quite normal to sign a contract with the government, according to
> which you get your graduate education for nearly free and in return you
> agree to work five or ten years for the state. When they discarded this
> system in China we were given industrial quantities of nonsense about free
> choice and a market in intellectual skills and so on. But all it really
> means is that you do your teaching service BEFORE you get your degree
> instead of AFTER.
> David Kellogg
> Seoul National University of Education
> ---------------------------------
> Looking for earth-friendly autos?
> Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
> _______________________________________________
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sun Apr 01 2007 - 01:00:11 PST