Re: [xmca] units of analysis,and Kenneth Burke

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 08:12:01 PST

On Unit of Analysis, Eugene has a paper that he might be able to share.
Eugene?

On Burke I have a favorite three-page excerpt posted at
http://curricublog.org/2007/02/14/burke-conversation/

It includes:

Kenneth Burke writes

=======
     In equating "dramatic" with "dialectic," we automatically have also
our perspective for the analysis of history, which is a "dramatic"
process, involving dialectical oppositions. (p. 109)
=======

We might consider how this also applies to the analysis of curriculum.
Burke writes:

=======
     Where does the drama get its materials? From the “unending
conversation” that is going on at the point in history when we are born.
Imagine that you enter a parlor. You come late. When you arrive, others
have long preceded you, and they are engaged in a heated discussion, a
discussion too heated for them to pause and tell you exactly what it is
about. In fact, the discussion had already begun long before any of them
got there, so that no one present is qualified to retrace for you all the
steps that had gone before. You listen for a while, until you decide that
you have caught the tenor of the argument; then you put in your oar.
Someone answers; you answer him; another comes to your defense; another
aligns himself against you, to either the embarrass- [111] ment or
gratification of your opponent, depending upon the quality of your ally’s
assistance. However, the discussion is interminable. The hour grows late,
you must depart. And you do depart, with the discussion still vigorously
in progress.

     It is from this “unending conversation” (the vision at the basis of
Mead’s work) that the materials of your drama arise.* Nor is this verbal
action all there is to it. For all these words are grounded in what
Malinowski would call “contexts of situation.” And very important among
these “contexts of situation” are the kind of factors considered by
Bentham, Marx, and Veblen, the material interests (of private or class
structure) that you symbolically defend or … [pp. 110-111; * footnote
omitted]
=======

The text and footnotes on those pages include important points on the
difference between positive and dialectical terms, as illustrated by the
historically contingent meaning of principles embedded in the U.S.
Constitution.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716