Re: [xmca] relationship building and the ZPD

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 09:17:01 PST

Clearly the conditions for creating such relationships in 30:1 formal
classrooms
are very rare and difficult to achieve. I believe this difficulty is linked
to the distinction
between school going activity and educational activity. The latter, Davydov
used to
joke, is never to be seen in school. The reason: Pre-pared goals. If goal
formation
is not a part of the activity, the resulting reduction produces only
educational actions,
not activities.

David--

In re re reading the chapter on concept development in T&L I was again
struck by the
fact that LSV in talking about second language learning emphasizes second
language
learning in school.

Going through Psych of Literacy this morning for a lecture this pm, I
skimmed through results of various cognitive tasks to see when being
multilingual entered as a significant variable. I need to do this more
systematically, but one of the few places where
speaking multiple tribal languages influence performance is on the tasks
that made up the metalinguistic test. This implies that learning a second
language outside of
school can perhaps also promote the kind of change that LSV was talking
about.

This must be a topic you have thought about a lot. What do you think?
mike