Re: [xmca] relationship building and the ZPD

From: deborah downing-wilson (ddowningw@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 08:53:29 PST

I think this is an excellent point - and brings up lots of questions. Can
we assume a zoped before we are certain both parties have the same end in
mind? Is an end goal even necessary to establish a zoped? Can the teacher
just lead the child along? I think I get sidetracked by the goals of the
teacher and neglect to establish evidence of the student's committment. Is
compliance enough? Corasaro does a good job of helping us focus on
children's immediate goals - maybe his work would be helpful here?

Deb

On 2/12/07, Lara Beaty <larabeaty@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carrie,
>
> I agree that the power/authority and scripts are central, but I would
> also emphasize the effort to forge a collaborative approach to the
> tasks that were meaningful to Annalee. In my observations, I've found
> an incredible lack of this kind of collaboration--a lack of anything
> that resembled a zpd--and it is this that I've been thinking of in
> terms of solidarity, acts that convey a sense that teachers are working
> toward the same goals as the students or supporting their goals.
>
> Best,
> Lara

Deborah Downing-Wilson