[xmca] King and lexicalized differences

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 10:01:55 PST

Hi,
It's Martin Luther King Day in the US.
Related to the discussion of lexicalized differences in different languages,
King used the following quote at two important points in his life work --
when the bus boycott was starting in Montgomery AL and in the Speech now
called "I have a dream" in DC when the civil rights movement was at an apex.
He said "No, no we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until
justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream."

The last clause is incorporated powerfully on the Maya Lin memorial to
Martin Luther King.

I only recently found out that the original, in the Book of Amos, is usually
rendered in English with the first word "let" instead of "until."

Isn't that just like the MLK we honor?
We can't just get out of the way and let it happen...
It is a contrary to fact conditional.
We must continue to act for the future consequence, a reminder of hope
motivating us?

In case you are not on this mailing list, here's what NAACP is calling on us
to do as the actions today:

From: Crispian Kirk, NAACP [mailto:webadmin@naacp.org]

Why the People of Darfur Can Not Wait
Sign the Open Letter to President Bush

Sign the Open Letter Now >
On Martin Luther King's Birthday, we reflect on his legacy and state that
the Darfuri people can not wait. Over 400,000 are dead, 2 million are
displaced, and 5,000 are dying every month-with numbers such as these the
atrocities in Darfur, Sudan are paralyzing. The genocide that began in
Darfur three years ago-the killings, the rapes, and the displacement of
black African tribes (Fur, Zaghawa and Massaleit)-continues to rage today

Sign the Open Letter to President Bush
http://www.naacp.org/advocacy/international/darfur/mlk/open_letter/

In recent months, the media has begun to display the desperation in Darfur
to the world community, but the situation continues to worsen. Despite the
progress in humanitarian access, people are still dying in large numbers of
malnutrition and disease. The last barrier to protecting the Dafuri
civilians is the Sudanese government's refusal to allow United Nations
peacekeepers into the region. Just last week, the United Nations Security
Council voted to send a peacekeeping force of more than 20,000 to Sudan-a
force that the Sudanese government continues to reject. So the question
remains: What will it take for the world to respond to the cry of the
Sudanese people?

The United States cannot allow Sudanese President Hassan al-Bashir to
continue to disregard the UN Security Council as people continue to die. The
United States must use all available means-diplomatic and financial-to
ensure the rapid deployment of peacekeepers in Darfur. To sit by in inaction
due to apathy, hopelessness, or lack of understanding is not acceptable. We
must take action! Without our help, thousands more will suffer and die. We
are inextricably connected to the people of Darfur-they too are our brothers
and fathers, mothers and sisters, children and friends.

Take Action Now:
. Sign the Open Letter to President Bush asking him to pursue the following
strategies: 1) immediate deployment of a robust UN peacekeeping force; 2) a
no-fly zone over Darfur; 3) freezing the assets of all Sudanese officials
involved in the genocide; and 4) pressure on China, a major buyer of Sudan's
oil, to use its economic leverage to hold the Sudanese government
accountable.
. Contact your U.S. Congressional Representatives, Senators, and President
Bush. Pressure them to use all available means: diplomatic and/or financial,
to ensure a rapid UN deployment.
. Click here to learn more about what you can do >
For more information about the genocide in Darfur, please contact me at
202-463-2940 or ckirk@naacpnet.org

Sincerely,

Crispian Kirk
Director of International Affairs

To make a tax-deductible donation to assist us with our work, click here.