Re: [xmca] Magpie Writing Systems

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@uc.cl)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 15:17:14 PST

Your note was indeed very thought provoking, David.
I wish I had your knowledge of languages to comment on your email.
You have really gone beyond my ZPD, since I just live in a world of
latin characters (with small excursions to hebrew).
As for your PS, I really don't see contradictions between your point
and Tomasello's.
Thanks for the nice piece of thinking!

On Jan 5, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Mike Cole wrote:

> Thanks a lot for that careful exposition, David. I found it really
> thought
> provoking.
>
> I guess I am of the belief that for humans, phonemes are
> potentially there
> owing to a long phylogenetic heritage such that newborns show
> categorical
> perspection of sounds along
> phoneme borders, so far as I know, universally. They loose plastiticy,
> selectively, under constraints in their lingustic/ environment.
>
> I carry around with me this slogan attributed to Goethe that I once
> saw in
> the lab of valued
> local colleagues: "Everything has been thought of betore, the trick
> is to
> think of it again in the
> right circumstances."
>
> So, I am unsure how much LSV directly read Janet. I am certain that
> Leontiev
> did and I presume
> LSV would have read some. But that he would interpret it within his
> own
> version of Marxist
> Durkheimian and (many more prior and contemporary thinkers) to
> come up with
> his own
> ideas seems sufficient, especially if one of his formulations can
> help make
> subtler sense of
> others, for example, Tomasello.
>
> I am not sure how to say palimpset in Russian, but LSV uses the
> layered
> metaphor of the
> "levels of the psyche" as Joe noted in an earlier note, and that
> seems to
> me a three D time-
> inclusive way of thinking about palimpsets.
> mike
>
> On 1/5/07, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear David P and Mike (C):
>>
>> Yes, Viva Tomasello! It's a marvelous read, and in some ways,
>> "Constructing Language" remedies some of the deficiencies David
>> Preiss
>> points up. Although it is even more focused on the subjective
>> nature of the
>> sign, it has a more thorough (and more genetic) understanding of the
>> heterogeneity which is inherent in all language.
>>
>> I just used "Constructing Language" to construct a coding system for
>> creative improvisations in English by Korean primary school kids.
>> Basically,
>> I used the school syllabus to analyze the children's utterances
>> into "fixed
>> expressions", "item-based constructions" that were not
>> generalizeable, and
>> "abstract constructions" that showed emerging grammatical
>> categories that
>> were generalizeable.
>>
>> Interestingly, the "abstract constructions" generally appear LATE
>> in an
>> exchange. This is true even though kids tend to use this to talk
> [...]

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile