Re: [xmca] zopeds and virtual learning environments

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 14:51:47 PST

I have been away for a while, and too busy to participate much in
xmca lately, but noticed this message today. You might have a look at
a draft of a research proposal on my website
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke/ [click on New Additions to get to the link]

It proposes comparing learning affordances and their uptake by users
in commercial computer games and in educational software. There are
references to several projects currently trying to make virtual
learning environments in the mold of multiplayer games, and there is
great promise in a social approach (guilds in online gameworlds,
studied by Steinkuehler at Wisconsin; Whyville, studied by Yasmin
Kafai at UCLA, etc.).

I am giving a new course this term on new media literacies, identity,
and learning. The syllabus and readings should be on my website in a
week. Of course it's a big subject, from asynchronous e-learning, to
emergent collective intelligence, to new learning environments and media.

Steinkuehler's work in particular shows an apprenticeship model (with
reciprocal learning by the mentor) as it turns up in an online
gameworld. It's very zoped-like, and she is exploring CHAT as a
theoretical model in her wider work.

JAY.

At 05:14 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:
>Why not? Sounds like a good idea to me.
>
>Eirik.
>
>--------------------
> > Could virtual learning environments be organized more like social
> > virtual environments (my space, you tube, etc)??
> > Ana
> >
> > Eirik Knutsson wrote:
> >> I agree with Mike here: Judging from my experience as a student, online
> >> courses enable participation of usually more silent students becoming
> >> relatively more active and visible.
> >>
> >> I also agree that virtual environments now available offer a lot of new
> >> and interesting potentials for creating environments were students can
> >> be
> >> more active, more individualistic learners.
> >>
> >> Who are these "silent students"? If they are contemplative, introvert
> >> individualists - as opposed to consensus-oriented, extrovert
> >> "collectivists" - I think there is good reason to believe that they have
> >> lot to gain from these new virtual learning environments.
> >>

> >> Eirik

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan