Re: [xmca] Happy New Year, dots of red wine and thoughts on the line of development

From: Anne-Nelly Perret-Clermont (Anne-Nelly.Perret-Clermont@unine.ch)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 08:55:41 PST

Dear All,
I am a member of the (numerous!) red dots along the Alpine lakes and
Rhein Walley (I suppose, but I am not sure because this map is not as
precise as the satellite maps. If it were you might discover that the
red color is due to the good red wine of our local vinyards in the area,
I suppose).
I enjoy the discussions but very seldom manage to pop in as they go very
fast and my administrative duties seem to slow me down terribly. I would
enjoy coming back on the effects of peer interactions and the learning
that can occur also with less advanced peers, as already described in
the late '70. It raises a lot of questions about the ZPD: why would the
development follow a predictable line? For psychological (Piaget would
say for logical) reasons? Or for cultural reasons? If the direction of
the line of development is largely given culturally then the credibility
of peers in different cultural contexts might be quite different . In
could be the social milieu at large, but also the micro context created
by gender when the interacting peers are same sex or note (as Charis
Psaltis's beautiful dissertation in Cambridge has shown).
Is development following a line...is another questions. What is/are the
relevant dimension(s) on which we project it to see line(s)? How does
the adult who reaches in the ZPD of the subject know that he is bringing
the subject "next step" (on the line)?

I'd like to hear you Aleksandar tell us more on how to map human
cultural tools. Including those tools can make life livable in difficult
situations. And what do they have to do with devlopment.
Best greetings,
Anne-Nelly

Prof. Anne-Nelly Perret-Clermont
Institut Psychologie et Education
Faculté des Lettres et Sciences humaines
Université de Neuchâtel
Espace L. Agassiz 1 CH 2000 Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
tel.:+41 32 718 18 56 fax: +41 32 718 18 51
email: anne-nelly.perret-clermont@unine.ch
http://www.unine.ch/psy
http://members.unine.ch/anne-nelly.perret-clermont/