RE: [xmca] question

From: Eirik Knutsson (eirikeng@student.hf.uio.no)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2006 - 06:21:29 PST

Sasha,

Allow me to amplify Lotman's two models of evolution, i.e. his concept of
‘binary’ and ‘tertiary’ (or ‘ternary’) systems - largely following
Roumiana Deltcheva's & Eduard Vlasov's, “Lotman’s Culture and Explosion: a
Shift in the Paradigm of the Semiotics of Culture”, in The Slavic and East
European Journal, Vol. 40, No. 1 1996, pp. 148-152.

In both systems, explosions are an obligatory component of the dynamics.
In binary structures, explosion results in total annihilation, permeating
all spheres of human activity and eliminating all previously accumulated
informational content. In a binary system, explosion destroys continuity.
Thus, binary systems are inherently destructive in their nature: they are
oriented towards the complete elimination of the preceding stage in
evolution and the creation of a new state following the principle of the
tabula rasa.

The ‘ternary’ system simultaneously spatializes and stabilizes the model
of culture. In this configuration explosion can be viewed as a single
point of momentary eruption generating a powerful detonation. In a binary,
axis-oriented model, the released energy targets the single opposite point
and, hence, is of a primarily destructive nature. In a ternary system, the
basic model is not an axis but a three-dimensional space, in which
unidirectionality is substituted by alternativity. The energy released
during explosions does not focus itself on one target, but is diffused and
distributed along multiple axes. The notion of alternativity then
functions as a buffer which ultimately neutralizes the destructive aspects
of the explosion. The spatialization of the model of culture by the
substitution of ‘two’ by ‘three’ establishes a mechanism of amortization
and preservation of the system from total destruction.

The volumetric nature of ternary structures does not permit explosions to
encompass and destroy all layers of a given stage in human evolution. The
values of earlier stages are preserved. In this way the establishment and
accumulation of new values does not begin anew every time, but employs the
earlier efforts of human experience. While a binary system is aimed at
achieving in practice the unachievable ideal, a ternary system tries to
accommodate the ideal to reality. A ternary system provides a combination
of explosive and gradual processes, and hence ensures moderation and
survival of the system from any cataclysm. Due to its closed,
uninterrupted perimeter the structure of the ternary model guarantees the
infinity of the evolutionary process.

The Russian taste for absolute terms and dogmas resembles in some respects
what Holzman & Newman write in a comment on “againstism”: “The homely
image evoked for us … is that of the panicky working-class mother trying
to get the children to stop enjoying themselves at play because the
authoritarian Daddy is about to come home and he will be even more abusive
than usual if he sees them having fun” (“Against Againstism: Comment on
Parker”, in Theory & Psychology, 4 2000; vol. 10:265).

Your questions 1-3 seem irrelevant to Lotman’s arguments as presented
here. I did not detect any question under “question” no. 4. According to
the ‘ternary’ system, you are entitled to your opinion just as anybody
else. You seem to understand the world in binary terms, as you have
already “confessed”. If you can live with that, so can I.

To sum up, I fail to decode your message here. What are you trying to tell
us with fragmentary citations from Vygotsky’s works, some hitherto
unfounded assertions about and condemnations of eclecticism, etc., etc.
The fact that you are hinting between the lines that you are “joking”,
does not make things any easier, as far as I am concerned.

Eirik