Re: [xmca] Zo-peds, roads, and Senseis

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 2006 - 17:13:28 PST

Actually, I think that we might treat Dewey the way Bakhurst treats Lenin
and learn something from it.
Dewey wrote a LOT and over a long period of time. I picked out that
quotation because it seemed to me
to point precisely to the Skinnerian program's underlying logic and roots in
pragmatism. Some of his ideas
in "The Public and Its Problems" make me wince with pain. But he wrote a lot
of great materials. His discussion
of the concept of situation in the book on logic, for example.
mike

Interesting discussion of affordances, Andy. The term comes from Gibson and
has been exploited by Don Norman a lot
in recent years. Gibson concerned himself mainly, but entirely, with the
natural enviornment. In discussions involving Ed Hutchins,
Peg Griffin, and myself, the many ways in which Gibson and Vygotsky
complemented each other (a complementarity well understood
by AV Zaporozhets) came to have some currency. if you google costall and
vygotsky on lchc you will find more along these interesting
lines in the newsletter archives.