[xmca] Constructionism/Constructivism

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 18:51:31 PST

I have to admit, lately I cringe when I hear the terms social constructivsim and social constructionism (even though I have been guilty of using them myself). How thin can we slice the cheese. It reminds me of the movie Colors and the 23rd Street gang, and Robert Duvall I think asks them why they bother, and they say, well 23rd street may not be much, but it is their turf. Lately I sort of want to break down the distinction between the larger fields.

Still, when I have heard social constructionism used it is usually in support of a Dewey like approach, or Critical Theory, or by Post-Structuralists. I sort of think of it in terms of Louis Sullivan (I know, I get my ideas from odd places sometimes, but I have been reading about him and I feel like its given me some insight - or maybe I just think of him as an anti-hero). Anyway, Sullivan was working on the Court of Honor for the Chicago World's Fair and he was the only architecht to break away from the sort of Roman iconic work to create this building that didn't make any sense in its context. The building had no obvious rhyme or reason and you could easily get lost within it. He wanted I believe to do it for two reasons - the first was to break away from the oppressive nature of the Roman architecture, both historically and in terms of immediate elitism. He felt they simply catered to the ego of those who funded them, those who built them, and those who visited them. They were symbols of an unfair domination. By constructing his building Sullivan was actually able to simultaeneously attack the facade of the elitist artchitecture that really did not take in to account the needs of those who backs they were built on (Andy mentioned Jane Jacobs great book, and I wonder if she might be considered a modern extension of this and a social constructionist), and also change perceptions about what architecture should be and who had power in it, and by changing percpetions change context. So anyway, I sort of think of that as what I see as social constructionism.

Social constructivism (and constructivism in general) is I think more straight forward - the construction of either knowledge and/or meaning and/or instruments through some sort of active inquiry. The agent (although people argue about using the term agent lately) is much more the focus, and there is more of an emphasis placed both on the inquiry and the fruits of inquiry.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but any time you set up categories you set up turf battles. I'd be interested what other people think.

Michael