Re: [xmca] J.M. Baldwin

From: Goncu, Artin (goncu@uic.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 21:21:58 PDT

I don't know if this was mentioned before since I have not followed this
line of discussion on Baldwin. So, if this is a repeat, please simply
ignore it, but for anybody who is interested in J.M. Baldwin, the work of
Emily Cahan may be relevant. She writes on the history of psychology and
published about Baldwin. She is at Wheelock and a google search will lead
you to a sample of Emily's work. Artin

On Mon, June 5, 2006 11:11 pm, steve thorne wrote:

> Phil and all -- Valsiner and van der Veer wrote a history of the
> development of the "social mind" across 19th and 20th century
> writers, including Baldwin and many others (Pierre Janet, G H Mead,
> John Dewey, Vygotsky, etc). very useful --
>
> Valsiner, J., van der Veer, R. (2000). The social mind: Construction
> of an idea. Cambridge: CUP.
>
> steve
>

>>Baldwin's ideas are used extensively by Jaan Valsiner whose work is well
>>worth
>>consulting in connection with this tangled thread of discussion.
>>mike
>>
>>On 6/5/06, Phil Chappell <philchappell@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>I have just been fishing around for papers on imitation by James Mark
>>>Baldwin and found the following site which has a couple of dozen
>>>papers by him, including a chapter on imitation. This is for
>>>information and not intended to hijack the current discussion!
>>>
>>>http://spartan.ac.brocku.ca/~lward/Baldwin/documents.html
>>>
>>>Phil
>

> --
> Steven L. Thorne
> Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics
> Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
> Associate Director, Center for Language Acquisition
> Associate Director, Center for Advanced Language Proficiency
> Education and Research
> The Pennsylvania State University
> Interact > 814.863.7036 | sthorne@psu.edu |
> http://language.la.psu.edu/~thorne/ | IM: avkrook