RE: [xmca] This really isn't typical, guys

From: Ares, Nancy (Warner) (nancy.ares@rochester.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 12:07:58 PDT

I also was taken aback by the reference to "good girl," and appreciate Mary
bringing it to explicit discussion. Yes, second language and other issues
may be part of the explanation for the particular remark. I think Mary's
other comment about an exclusive or private men's club warrants more
thought. If you think (or if we looked in the archives) of who posts, who
directs the discussions, whose posting get responded to, it seems a trend of
male-weighted influence appears. Another indication of this pattern, and one
I had thought to post shortly after ISCAR but didn't, for fear of offending,
is the "Future of" the field in Sevilla. All panelists were white men. The
message to me was that that future is likely to continue to be largely
shaped by white men, as it has been to this point. The scholarly work of
women (and people of color) hasn't been treated as central to the direction,
nor in that panel was it treated as central to the future, of this
community. I may be being a bit harsh, but works by, for example, Marianne
Heiddegard, Kris Gutierrez, Carol Lee have been widely influential, but they
weren't invited to participate in that important event (I know I'm
neglecting other important scholars and I apologize. I am only listing
examples). So, I think Mary pointed to something important.

Respectfully,
Nancy

Nancy Ares
Assistant Professor