[xmca] Fwd: [cogdevsoc] PhD program & training grant (UCSD/SDSU): Language dev./disorders

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 17:12:05 PDT

Ya'll come or send a friend
mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gedeon Deák <deak@cogsci.ucsd.edu>
Date: Oct 10, 2005 3:37 PM
Subject: [cogdevsoc] PhD program & training grant (UCSD/SDSU): Language
dev./disorders
To: Cognitive Development Society <cogdevsoc@listserv.unc.edu>

Dear colleagues,
Please let your interested students know about this graduate training
program. I'll be glad to answer any questions about the program, either
by email or in person at the upcoming CDS meeting.
Thanks,
Gedeon Deak

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Beverly Wulfeck <wulfeck@crl.ucsd.edu>
> Date: October 10, 2005 2:24:38 PM PDT
> To: info-childes@mail.talkbank.org
> Subject: Doctoral program announcement and new training grant
>

> DOCTORAL PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
>
> SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY AND UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO
> JOINT DOCTORAL PROGRAM (JDP) LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATIVE DISORDERS
> Program Directors: Jeff Elman & David Swinney (UCSD), Beverly Wulfeck
> (SDSU)
>
> APPLICATION DEADLINE for FALL, 2006: JANUARY 20, 2006
> To obtain admission information and to download our application for
> Fall
> 2006 visit our website at:
> http://chhs.sdsu.edu/SLHS/phdmain.php
>
> The JDP in Language and Communicative Disorders is designed to educate
> new generation of scientists who are interested in applying research
> skills to the disorders. This interdisciplinary program provides
> training
> in typical (spoken and signed) and atypical language, and in the neural
> bases of language learning, use and loss.
>
> GOALS:
> 1. To provide doctoral training in the study of language and
> communicative
> behavior with an interdisciplinary focus that integrates
> state-of-the-art
> knowledge from the fields of communicative disorders, cognitive
> sciences,
> neurosciences, psychology and linguistics represented by the expertise
> of
> core faculty from SDSU and UCSD.
> 2. To prepare professionals, educated in the interface between
> behavioral
> and cognitive neuroscience methodologies, who will provide critical
> leadership in research and health services.
> 3. To prepare Ph.D. level scientists in the field of language and
> communicative disorders to serve as faculty in university programs and
> scientists in a variety of settings to carry out much-needed research
> on
> the processes of language development, disorders, assessment and
> intervention.
> 4. To prepare researchers to carry out much-needed research in
> communicative behavior and disorders in bilingualism and
> multiculturalism.
>
> ASHA CLINICAL CERTIFICATION
> Although this is a research Ph.D. program, doctoral students wishing to
> obtain academic preparation for the Certificate of Clinical Competence
> in
> Speech-Language Pathology from the American Speech-Language-Hearing
> Association may do so concurrently with their doctoral studies. We
> also
> have a means for students wishing to complete their CFY while enrolled
> in
> our program.
>
> NEW TRAINING GRANT
> "Neurocognitive Approaches to Communication Disorders", a newly funded
> [...]
Gedeon O. Deák, Ph.D.
Department of Cognitive Science
9500 Gilman Dr. (858) 822-3352
University of California, San Diego fax (858) 534-1128
La Jolla, CA 92093-0515 http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~deak/

---
--- You are currently subscribed to cogdevsoc as: mcole who-is-at ucsd.edu.
leave-cogdevsoc-4611817M@listserv.unc.edu
For more information about the Cognitive Development Society listserv,
please see our Webpage: http://www.cogdevsoc.org