RE: [xmca] ISCAR, XMCA, and your burning issues

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@uic.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 11:50:43 PDT

Mike, et al --

I have been reading the xmca list with interest, although not speaking up
much for quite a while.

But this message opens the possibility for me of asking a
procedural/technical question about Seville/ISCAR

Last winter, I submitted a paper proposal electronically. I did not hear
anything back. In the spring, I checked the website and saw a banner that
said, "Proposal submitters will be notified soon," or some such. After some
time had passed with no message, I had to schedule fall classes and decided
not to worry about it. Then a week ago I met with Peter Sawchuk, who with
Newton Duarte and Mohammed Elhammoumi had submitted a proposal based on
their upcoming book (in which Joe Berry and I have a chapter), Critical
Perspectives on Activity: Explorations across Education, Work and Everyday
Life. Yrjo Engestrom and Phil Adler and some other folks had chapters in
this, so it might have been expected to make it onto the program. But it
didn't. This makes me think that it was more like an electronic hitch in the
submissions/acceptance process that than that my proposal wasn't up to
snuff.

I'm sending this message as much to say I wish I was there with you as to
query the submissions process.

Next time I'll be more aggressive about followup.

Have a wonderful time in Seville (I do wish I was there!)

Helena Worthen
Chicago Labor Education Program
University of Illinois
Suite 110 The Rice Building