Re: [xmca] Some thoughts on some issues in Hasan's papers

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 15:32:29 PDT

Mike,
It probably is accidental. Although I know of Ed Hutchins work, I don't
know it well enough to make that connection.
My thinking went more along the line of my studies of metaphor and
metaphor development -- because metaphor as a meaning constructing
process, always brings two worlds together. And it also crosses
different modalities of utterance (if I understand THAT the right way).
Also, I found in my studies of metaphor that one needs to introduce a
new dimension (third space??) in order to understand the processes that
are going on there.

But now that you mention Hutchins, I think I need to get a better
understanding of his work. What should be the bets reference?
Ana