Re: [xmca] LCA: Transparency continued

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 22:45:49 PDT

Michael, Mike, Steve and all,
The discussion too a very interesting turn to the relationship between
an individual and the tools. Let me just say in my own words what I
think I understand is the concept here:
First -- there is a distinction between "outer" and "inner" worlds, and
a boundary between them (skin? or not always skin?).
Second -- "transparency" is achieved when a tool becomes *incorporated*
(sorry for the pun) into the inner world -- as if it was under the skin.
(Bateson's example of a blind person using a cane).
Third -- this process is seen as "rising from the abstract to the
concrete"? -- or am I missing the point?
Forth -- only when something "goes wrong" with the tool (equipment) it
becomes "opaque" again -- i.e. visible as an outside object to which we
can focus our attention.

Does this sketch the thinking here?

OK -- I would like to add a few thoughts:
I think this kind of "transparency" is a necessary condition of an
effective use of tools/signs. But, what I would be interested in is the
further effect of the *incorporation* of the tool/sign into the
individual's inner world. How exactly does the use of particular
language or particular technology change individuals themselves, in
other words -- how such mediation determines development of individuals
and cultures?
Another question: what is the effect of the "incorporation" of a
tool/sign into the inner world -- on the tool/sign itself? Vygotsky
talked about the transformation of voiced speech into the inner speech
-- where a lot of characteristics of speech change in that process (not
just the loudness). In other words, does transformation of actions into
operations -- change the actions themselves? Does such *incorporation"
of a tool refine that tool itself? Can it lead to a transformation of a
tool into a completely different tool or object?

Here are some more concrete question (to rise from the above abstract
ones): In learning a second language -- the tool becomes "opaque" again,
i.e. it is a new kind of an "old" tool, to which an individual has to
adjust, in other words, to learn it. What are the effects on a person in
learning a second language? And can we say that the second language has
been learned to the extent that it is transparent? (I am experiencing a
curious rapid shifting back and forth between talking about this and
asking these questions, and my own awareness of using a foreign language
at the moment). In addition, learning a second language (a process of
focusing on language as an object -- not a tool, making it opaque again)
can inform me about my first language -- and thus change it.
In a way, I think there is this dynamic relationship between using a
tool as a "transparent" part of the action/person, and focusing on the
tool itself as an object which can be changed (improved, or transformed
into something different). There is a constant oscillation between the
focus on the "object" of an activity and the "tool" for the activity.

Ana