Re: [xmca] LCA: Transparency continued

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 19:14:59 PDT

Mike,
I think I am struggling as much as you--perhaps it is the notion of
"mediation" by tools or signs irrespective of the fact--nobody seems to
make the distinction--whether we are dealing with consciousness, i.e.,
actions and goals and activities and motives, on the one hand, and
operations, on the other.

Are operations "mediated" by tools? But if the tools we use are not
attended to consciously. . . this is where Bateson asks the question,
where is the boundary between the blind person and the world, at the
end of the stick, at the beginning, or somewhere in the middle?

He continues saying that the question is inappropriate. Heidegger, in
my reading, is concerned with everyday action where signs and tools are
ready to hand, not attended to consciously--unless they are broken, at
which time they become the object of actions, themselves operated upon
by means of other tools.

I think that theoretically we need to make a distinction between two
forms of mediation or need to call one mediation--when we consciously
use tools, interpret text, etc.--and the other something else. If what
I do with my hands is not mediated, using a hammer, using a cane as a
blind person. . . is part of me--just as riding a bicycle is as I
articulated together with Domenico Masciotra in a chapter in a book
honoring Ernst von Glasersfeld where we are critical of his ideas.

As a longtime (expet?) cyclist, I "feel" where there is trouble in the
bicycle, as if it was part of me, I can feel the joint that hurts,
whether it is my elbow or somewhere along the line to the "tip" of the
tire on the road. I can feel the pebble that I hit, literally, as if it
was a finger that hit it. I am not sure I am making sense, but perhaps
if I use a language that I don't like but others seem to--in "flow
experience" of the high performance athlete--I remember my days on the
German national rowing team--there is no longer a difference between
you and your equipment, the equipment is you. If there is a sense of
difference in the me-in-situation, then it is at the other end of the
equipment. . . the tire, the hull of the skiff, the head of the hammer
where it hits the nail.

As a teacher teaching art in southern Labrador, a village of 500 people
isolated for 6 months of the year, I asked students to get into the
grove, to work with the wood, to feel when it hurts--when you go across
the grain with sandpaper or rasp. I think it is exactly the same, you
actually begin to extend into the wood and beyond the tool.

Domenico Masciotra and I also wrote about karate fighting, and Domenico
likens his position and possibilities as threads emanating from his
body, which thereby extends and occupies a space and reaches far beyond
his physical body.

We cannot analyze all of these situations in the same way that you
would analyze me grappling with Being and Time for the past 30 years,
or grappling with the Il'enkov texts for 5 years before having the
sense that I am slowly coming to understand. My conscious interpretive
efforts are different than my engagement with the world in expertise or
flow experiences.

And this is what happens when Karen points to a spike in a graph and
says, "This is a clogged pipe". Just as most of the people on this list
don't think twice when they see the word "school", they don't look and
interpret the word, the seem to be transported right into school
situations.

Cheers,

Michael