Re: LSV-& Dialogical Self

From: willthereallsvpleasespeakup@nateweb.info
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 09:27:20 PST

Mike Cole wrote:

>If the personality is the highest form of sociality, the unit of
>analysis for understanding the "whole person," what does it mean to
>talk about relationships BETWEEN the personality
>and its social context? Is context outside and personality inside? Really?
>
>mike

Would it not be a time question? In embryol stage it would be external
(context, activity, setting etc), and then it latter becomes
internalyzed (bi-directional process) as personality. The question
inner/outer or internal/external is a matter of when.

I personally dislike the word context and am not sure what it means
concretely. It seems to be one of those words that are thrown around and
then become meaningless constructs. One benefit of AT in my view is
that it attempts to explain the system one is engaged in.

First, and this can be difficult in the "american context", we have to
concur that both are social entities. So, often personality and
individual are counterposed to some social category.

--
Website: http://nateweb.info/
Blog: http://levvygotsky.blogspot.com/

"The zone of proximal development defines those functions that have not yet matured but are in the process of maturation, functions that will mature tomorrow but are currently in an embryonic state. These functions could be termed the buds or flowers of development rather than the "fruits" of development. The actual developmental level characterizes mental development retrospectively, while the zone of proximal development characterizes mental development prospectively." - L.S.V.