RE: Civility - RE: Resistance and speaking out

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@hec.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 17:47:02 PST

I think the key here is the issue of dissent than it is the type of dissent. And what role have we as educators, members of the academy played in this lack or fear of dissent? How much do we accept dissent in our classrooms? How much do we allow dissent in our conversations? How quick are we to anger at dissent or claim that those who are dissenting don't know their place?

Noam Chomsky, who is often too far to the left for me, made an extraodinary point. He said our education system does not reward dissent but something very much the opposite. Over the last few decades those who have done the best in our educational system are those who have learned to give teachers or professors what they want, to learn to think like them so that the teacher believes that they are thinking in the right way. The people who make it to the top colleges and universities are often times the people who best learn how to play the system. We are a risk averse society because risk is not rewarded and those who take risks are often ostracized. The people who are rewarded are the people who don't take chances.

I have this extraordinary memory from about fifteen years back. I was sitting in a room at SRCD with about 300 of the most powerful academics in our field at a symposium. One of the presenters was a white researcher from South Africa. Before he started his talk he chastised SRCD for inviting him without making explicit the issues involving apartheid, and questioning why they were able to invite a white academic and not a black academic. It was a very courageous thing to say to that group. Out of these three hundred academics who had basically nothing to lose only one person in that room applauded (that person was actually Michael Cole, I was sitting two rows behind him. I always meant to tell him that I thought that was courageous as well). But two hundred ninety nine sat there and looked like how dare this person make a statement like this at SRCD. I didn't applaud either. I took the excuse that I was a student at the time, which was no excuse at all.

Democracy is something you live in your everyday lives, a system you build up over time. Respect for dissent is based on a continuous process in which those with the minority view are respected and listened to, even if you don't agree with them, even if that minority view makes you uncomfortable. Is it possible that we, through our own arrogance, have created a society in which people no longer really believe in dissent, believe that the best way to live their lives is to go along with those that are in power? Of course we need to take action and speak out, but we need to look to ourselves as well.

Michael