RE: Civility - RE: Resistance and speaking out

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 17:21:51 PST

Tony Whitson asks "Why doesn't Bill Moyers behave more like Bill
O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh?"

I strongly recommend a book by George Lakoff "don't think of an
elephant!".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931498717/qid=1107047666/
sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8100649-0543052?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

From the book cover:

Don't Think of An Elephant! is the antidote to the last forty years of
conservative strategizing and the right wing's stranglehold on political
dialogue in the United States.

Author George Lakoff explains how conservatives think, and how to
counter their arguments. He outlines in detail the traditional American
values that progressives hold, but are often unable to articulate.
Lakoff also breaks down the ways in which conservatives have framed the
issues, and provides examples of how progressives can reframe the
debate.

Lakoff's years of research and work with environmental and political
leaders have been distilled into this essential guide, which shows
progressives how to think in terms of values instead of programs, and
why people vote their values and identities, often against their best
interests.

Don't Think of an Elephant! is the definitive handbook for understanding
and communicating effectively about key issues in the 2004 election, and
beyond.

Read it, take action-and help take America back

Don Cunningham

Indiana University

  _____