Re: Scaffolding

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 12:12:51 PST

It would be fascinating to compare concepts like Skinner's "shaping" to
"scaffolding" to ZPD.
 From the little quote by Skinner about how they taught a pigeon to
bowl, and from the descriptions of the mother-child interactions
(further down), there seems to emerge at least one big difference in the
two types of learning:
Pigeons learn within almost closed feedback loop between their behavior
and the "reward" -- it is learning in a given situation and by "blind"
trial and error.
Children (people) have the "third" component, which mediates between the
behavior and its "outcome" -- symbolic behavior -- language and other
symbolic devices.
I think that the process of mediation, or in other words, symbolic tools
are that what is being constructed in ZPD. The learning is not direct --
ZPD is a "place" where you focus on construction of tools for a
particular knowledge domain -- tools that can be used to actually get a
grip on a particular domain of the reality. That is why it so often
seems that children and adults already can do/understand something in
play while it is still impossible in "reality".
The question is -- can we observe learning through construction of
symbolic tools in animals?? Or some animals? Ability to construct and
use symbolic tools becomes an interesting evolutionary difference
between humans and other species. The question is, is there an
intermediary step between learning by a direct feedback loop and
learning through a mediated ZPD? How does this new way of leaning and
understanding come into existence in the evolution?

Ana