Fwd: Functional systems forward

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 09:46:29 PST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William E. Blanton <blantonw@miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:09:38 -0500
Subject: Functional systems forward
To: mcole@weber.ucsd.edu

Mike, I can't get this sent via XMCA. Will you please forward it? Bill Blanton

Bill and Peg,

You have pointed to an interesting topic, functional systems and reading,
math, writing, etc. I read Singer's sub-strata theory a long time ago. At
the time, the discussion was concerned with his methodology. If I remember
correctly, functional system never entered the discussion. Like Bill, I
think it would be very informative to have a discussion of functional
systems. I wonder if there is a good set of texts to read and discuss?
Luria's The working brain for sure, perhaps there is an Ed Hutchinson
piece, also. Mike I think you have a paper that you wrote, too. Peg and
Mike, would you lead a discussion on functional system? I think it would
be helpful to ground it with a topic such as reading.

Bill Blanton

On a related (but not Singer approach), I wonder if a distinction between
functional systems and processing systems works out very well if the model
is a parallel distributed processing or connectionist one?

Peg