RE: naturvolk versus kulturvolk

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@udel.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 11:17:16 PST

Steinmentz writes:
The opposition between Kulturvölker (“cultural” or civilized peoples) and
Naturvölker (“natural” or primitive peoples) became ubiquitous in German
scholarly writing in the second half of the nineteenth century, although the
terms were given varying definitions (compare, for example,
Klemm [1843–1852] and Vierkandt [1896]).

Klemm, Gustav. 1843—1852. Allgemeine Cultur-Geschichte der Menschheit.
Leipzig: Teubner.
Vierkandt, Alfred. 1896. Naturvölker und Kulturvölker. Leipzig: Duncker and
Humblot.

fn. 29, p. 50
Steinmetz, George. ""the Devil's Handwriting": Precolonial Discourse,
Ethnographic Acuity, and Cross-Identification in German Colonialism."
Comparative Studies in Society and History 45, no. 1 (2003): 41-95.