Re: michal roth's intro; four contradictions and children's play

From: Lara Beaty (lbeaty@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 07:53:35 PDT

Co-construction. Negotiation. It is in a new activity system
(Cristobal) or when there's a change in the activity system (Ya-Meer)
that identities are re-co-constructed.

I wasn't thinking about identities when I began observations. I was
thinking about social relations. "Identities" seemed the appropriate
construct in only some of the classroom relations I saw, but they each
could have been cast that way. Unfortunately, most schools don't have
the resources that the one in the article did. My "screen writer"
returned to being home schooled and looking into community college. The
Latina student was new to the school. I don't know how things went in
other classes, but where I observed her, relations were shaped very
much by there being only 4 girls in the class of 16 and the ethnic
self-segregation in the class. She stood out because she resisted a
stable identity. I saw her speak Spanish once--to resolve the tension
in group work when the English speaker didn't want to give up control.

With this in mind, what strikes me about Ya-Meer is that the conflict
was as much about Charles as Cristobal.

Lara