identity

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 07:21:58 PDT

Some of the writings made me wonder if readers understand the point
about identity--it is not so much that we take one, like putting on a
piece of clothing, but that in every single act, we provide resources
for the self and other attribution of identity. That is, by writing
this note, an act, others can make attributions--this Roth guy is
talkative, or this Roth guy talks nonsense etc. If others agree, then
there is a more widespread characterization of the person--which may
change little in the way I see myself... We therefore need to consider
the dialectic of self and other in the consideration of identity,
self-attribution and other attribution, what is constant and what can
change from minute to minute.
        For anyone interested in the philosophical grounding of such an
approach to identity (Ricœur, Bakhtin, Marx) with a case study, I have
a chapter in a forthcoming book on urban education which I can make
available to interested individuals upon request.
Michael