FW: Situationalism or "come here " John Dewey.

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@hec.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 08:09:55 PDT

The following is from the Dewey list I had referred to before. I read it and I thought both how it illustrates the point I was attempting to make about meaning in an earlier post better than I ever could.

Interestingly enough I think it points to how close Dewey and Vygotsky can be in some situations. Compare this rumination of Mordecai Kaplan (which I think is pure Dewey) with Vygotsky's writings in his Thought and Word chapter, specifically the part about the drunk in the street.

A third thing, it also suggests some issues about morality and "situatedness" that I believe Carol McDonald was asking about a while ago.

All in all a very interesting post I think.

Speaking of morality, I hope this is legal (I guess it depends on the situation). My apologies to Mel Scult.

Michael