social relations and mediation

From: Ares, Nancy (nancy.ares@rochester.edu)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 14:10:01 PDT

I posed a clumsy rhetorical question when I asked whether mediating
artifacts and social relations would be grouped together in an activity
system
examined using Engestrom's triangle. My impression from Panofsky's chapter
was that she was illuminating how students' learning opportunities were
shaped through teachers' assumptions about
social class status, and I was posing a query about the nature and role
of varied influences in classrooms. There are clearly qualitative
differences
among such things as texts and computers, and social, historical constructs
such as class, gender, and race or ethnicity. I see much confusion arise in
students in my classes when we examine mediation, because they ask such
questions as I did. What might other folks answer to my students?

thanks,
Nancy