Re: 1973 article by Wartofsky on perception, representation, artifacts

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 03:21:45 PDT

Hi Victor,

Other projects are going to tear me away from our fruitful exchanges on
Ilyenkov for a few days, but I am still quite interested. I probably won't
be able to post much more this week on this due to other commitments.

But let me point to a theme in your 5/23 post:

You say:
Ideality is a higher level of unity for two very different, and
contradictory, concepts: the artefact and meaning.
And:
"... the ideal as a unity of object and meaning ..."

Here are a couple thoughts on this.

This paradigm (we'll call it paradigm A) seems to identify ideality as the
dialectical unity of cultural artifacts and their meaning.

The paradigm I am working from (we'll call it paradigm B), and which I
believe Ilyenkov is advocating, identifies cultural artifacts as the
dialectical unity of materiality (material properties) and ideality (meaning).

The order is different. Putting these in a crude algebraic shorthand:

paradigm A:
ideality = artefacts + meaning

paradigm B:
cultural artifacts = materiality + ideality (cultural meaning)

In these crude, mechanical "equations", an "outcome" is cited on the left,
and the "ingredients" needed for this outcome are listed on the right.

Paradigm B (mine) illustrates the idea that cultural artifacts are
comprised of two "ingredients" - the material (natural) properties of a
thing, and its ideality (cultural meaning). As an object of nature, say, a
branch from a tree, is whittled into a pointed stick, the material
properties of the branch are modified, and meaning is invested by human
labor and activity into that object. It is the act of labor on materiality
that creates ideality or meaning, and the "outcome" at each step of the
process is a changing cultural artifact - a unity of the materiality of the
object and the ideality or meaning, created by the labor imbued in the
object up to that point. I believe Paradigm B reflects Ilyenkov's
essential conceptual dynamic in his concept of the ideal, which emphasizes
how conscious (meaning-directed) human labor and activity transforms
material nature into cultural artifacts.

Paradigm A (yours) may lose some of this dynamic. By making ideality the
"outcome", and the artifact an "ingredient," numerous relationships may
become harder to keep track of, such as where labor fits in, or just what
the intended outcome is. I don't think paradigm A quite reflects
Ilyenkov's concept of the dynamics of the relationship between materiality,
ideality (meaning), and cultural artifacts, all set into motion from
beginning to end by human labor and activity.

You ask this question: "The question I'm asking is; what if any features of
the material production of artefacts, as objects and subjects of
production, contribute to their development as embodiments of meaning,
their becoming idealities (remember that artefacts that are idealities are
not just neutral material objects)."

Perhaps following the dynamic indicated by paradigm B would pose things
differently and bring them more in line with what I think is Ilyenkov's
approach. If I understand your question (which I may not), where labor
(production) fits in, following paradigm B, would be that the purposeful,
meaning-directed labor and activity (production) of the worker (the
subject), mediated by the features of the materiality they are working on,
as well as whatever tools and processes they are working with, creates
cultural artifacts - which are material objects (outcomes) embodied with
ideality, or cultural meaning.

Certainly, the inter- and intra-mediations between all the ingredients of a
production process will influence the eventual meanings (idealities) of the
final outcome. For example, if one burns dinner badly enough, it may mean
that it winds up in the garbage. In fact, it seems that when things like
that go wrong, it often becomes a subject of intense interest as to just
which production factors - and which people - involved in the attempted
project contributed to its demise. On the other hand, when a product is
especially appreciated, commendations and talk of how it was done so well -
and of course, who did it - may also become topics of animated
discussion. And so goes not a small amount of human discourse.

I'm sorry I have to absent myself this week, but I will be back. I just
wanted, before too much time passed, to give you some feedback on what
could be an important difference between these two paradigms or
interpretations.

What do you think?

Best,
- Steve