Re: Response to Steve G on EVI and Bakhurst - The annotations

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 18:16:32 PDT

Victor wrote, in part:

A side comment: I think ideality (meaningfulness) needs to be distinguished
from materiality when we speak of produced objects - we produce both the
material object and its meaning (its ideality). A meaningful object has
both ideality and materiality. A meaningful object is not the same as
ideality and ideality is not equivalent to meaningful objects.

Here, I believe, is the insight about artifacts. Their dual nature as
material and ideal, which is what I have interpreted Ilyenkov to have
been saying. How WE orient to the material and ideal aspects of meaningful
objects (artifacts), and through them, I take to be the special nature
of homo sapiens. May they surivive their cleaverness!
mike