Re: "Unpacking" social interaction and social class

From: ediaz@csusb.edu
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 09:32:17 PDT

I am currently using this book in a class on language, literacy and culture.
My grad students are mostly bilingual teachers from low income schools.
We are discussing this particular chapter tomorrow and will be glad to
send some feedback. Thus far they have appreciated the chapters on
psychological tools, the zopd and literature as a cultural tool. They
find it hard going at times but we have great discussions trying to
figure out what the author means. I particularly enjoyed Seth Chaiklin's
zopd piece because of the in depth analysis of it use and his use of
original documents to work at digging up what Vygotsky mean. Lots of
food for thought.

Esteban Diaz