Re: Mikhail Bakhtin - Congress in FINLAND

From: Jonna Kangasoja (jonna.kangasoja@helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 01:16:02 PST

Hi Eugine,

Not to worry, there is also an international Bakhtin Conference NOT
conflicting with ISCAR'05:

-Jonna

> The XII International Bakhtin Conference Jyväskylä, July 18-22, 2005
>
> First Circular
>
> You are cordially invited to participate the XII International Bakhtin
Conference which will take place July 18-22, 2005 in Jyväskylä, Finland. The
conference will be hosted by Department of Languages and Centre for Applied
Language Studies, University of Jyväskylä.

> ACADEMIC PROGRAMME
>
> During last two or three decades the ideas discussed by Mikhail Bakhtin
and the so-called Bakhtin Circle have been interpreted, appropriated and
applied extensively; despite this, they still continue providing new
insights into a variety of disciplines. At the same time, starting from the
mid-1990s, the re-evaluation of the legacy of the Bakhtin Circle and its
place in the Humanities has become a central issue in contemporary Bakhtin
Studies. The publication of Bakhtin"s Collected Works and recent research
into the possible intellectual sources of the members of the Circle have
made inevitable the re-evaluation of Bakhtin"s ideas and the significance of
the contributions by the other members of the Circle. These two projects
have helped us understand the formation of the ideas of the Bakhtin Circle
and to appreciate their "originality in context".

> The main objective of the XII International Bakhtin Conference is to offer
a forum for scholarly discussions and debates concerning exegesis,
interpretation and application of the ideas of Mikhail Bakhtin and other mem
bers of the Bakhtin Circle. We encourage presentations on a wide range of
topics dealing with different aspects of the intellectual legacy of the
Bakhtin Circle. The main themes of the conference are:Problems of the
Exegesis of the Works by the Bakhtin Circle, The Formation of Ideas: the
Contemporary Intellectual and Institutional ContextLinguistics and
Philosophy of Language in the Works of the Bakhtin CircleThe Critical
Investigation of the Influence of Bakhtin in Aesthetics and Literary
StudiesPhilosophy, Human and Social Sciences: Dismantling Bakhtinian
Metaphors The conference programme will include plenary sessions, keynote
addresses, parallel sessions, symposia on specific topics, round tables and
workshops.

> ABSTRACTS
>
> Abstracts (max. 300 words) for 40 minute papers (including 10 min.
discussion) to be read in parallel sessions should be sent by e-mail as an
attachment (RTF). Proposals for symposia, round tables and workshops are to
be submitted as one abstract only (max. 500 words), sent by the moderator,
with the list of participants (names, affiliation and their respective
topics). Symposia may include a keynote address. Please note that round
tables, consisting of 4-5 participants, should be structured around a very
precise topic and consist of 90 min. debate on a pre-determined set of
questions formulated by the moderator.

> CONFERENCE LANGUAGES
>
> Contributions are accepted in English and Russian.
>
> CONFERENCE FEE
>
> The conference has been set at 150 ? (for students, 100 ?). The
organising committee may waive the registration fee in particular cases.
Applications indicating the grounds for waiving the fee should be sent to
XIIINTERNATIONALBAKHTINCONFERENCE@campus.jyu.fi

> DEADLINES
>
> Registration starts September 1, 2004. The deadline for the registration
and submission of abstracts is December 1, 2004.

> ORGANISING COMMITTEE
>
> Mika Lähteenmäki, Chair (University of Jyväskylä)Hannele Dufva, Chair
(University of Jyväskylä)Urpo Kovala (University of Jyväskylä)Tapani Laine
(University of Tampere)Mikael Leiman (University of Joensuu)Sirpa Leppänen
(University of Jyväskylä)Erkki Vainikkala (University of Jyväskylä) Honorary
President - Erkki Peuranen, Professor, Foreign Member of the Russian Academy
of Sciences

> FURTHER INFOMATION
>
> A second circular including further information will be issued in May,
2004.A third circular will be issued in September, 2004.Further information
is available at: http://www.jyu.fi/tdk/hum/venaja/bahtin/index.htm

> CONTACT INFORMATION XIIINTERNATIONALBAKHTINCONFERENCE@campus.jyu.fi
>
> Mika Lähteenmäki
Hannele Dufva